Audience habits and what they expect of their media are changing. This means that news outlets – including minority-language media! – need to work to understand these expectations and rethink how to design and deliver news products and value. At this NewsSpectrum Digital News Accelerator workshop we focused on audience research and the product development process, exploring how to develop news products using audience-centered research and design techniques.
- How to use data to understand your users’ needs and the most important challenges your news organization needs to address.
- How to create a product strategy that addresses these challenges
- How to combine product discovery with product delivery to build solutions that are viable, feasible, and usable.
HELD ON: Tuesday, April 26, 15:00 – 16:30
RECORDING: Video recording available here
AUDIENCE: Media professionals (including journalists, editors, media managers, publishers, business and product managers, community managers, etc.) as well as freelance journalists.
Meet the Trainer:
Karl Oskar Teien
Director of Product
Schibsted / Aftenposten
Karl Oskar Teien joined Schibsted in 2015, and has since held product roles in several Schibsted brands in Norway and Sweden. Since the beginning of 2020 he has been Director of Product for Schibsted’s leading subscription newspapers in Norway and Sweden, including Aftenposten, Svenska Dagbladet, and several regional and local newspapers. Before moving into the media industry, Teien worked on mobile-based financial services for low-income communities in India, Kenya, and USA. Karl Oskar holds holds a B.A. in International Studies from Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona, and University of Cape Town, as well as a Master of Social Entrepreneurship from Hult International Business School in San Francisco and Boston.
Training facilitator: Jacqui Park, Head of Network Strategy and Innovation, IPI
Missed the previous workshop? Watch it here
• Lena Beate Pedersen, Product Manager, Schibsted, Norway
• Nigel Mugamu, Founder and Chief Storyteller, 263Chat, Zimbabwe
Resources and Recommended Reads:
Additional readings and resources, best practices and cases to learn from:
- Survival strategies for local media (IPI report)
- Conducting audience research by Membership Puzzle
- 5 steps to draft an effective discussion guide
- Example of a (simple) interview guide
- Repository of human-entered design research methods by IDEO
- On starting a product team from scratch by Jessica Morrison
Contact Milica Miletic at firstname.lastname@example.org
NewsSpectrum’s Digital News Accelerator
This special workshop is part of NewsSpectrum’s Digital News Accelerator, a series of expert online workshops on digital transition and business needs for minority-language media in Europe. The accelerator is open both to NewsSpectrum grantees and to other representatives of minority-language media in Europe, as well as small local newsrooms that face similar challenges and difficulties as minority media.