NewsSpectrum Fellow Hilal Seven, a Kurdish-Alevi freelance journalist, carried out two Professional Placement Fellowships. She spent two weeks working at the foreign news desk of The Times/The Sunday Times. She also carried out a month-long work placement at Journalism.co.uk, an online platform specialized in news, jobs, training and events for journalists.
The in-person conversations and direct interaction with the reporters and editors of several newsrooms at The Times were a valuable chance for Hilal to network and build important professional connections. Her placement at a large newsroom, engaging with different departments and teams at The Times, combined with her remote placement at Journalism.co.uk, was a unique opportunity for improving a range of skills and techniques. As a native Turkish and Kurdish speaker, Hilal also contributed as a translator.
During her fellowship at Journalism.co.uk, Hilal focused on stories about the freelance journalism community.
Journalismnews: What skills do freelance journalists need in 2022? https://t.co/RbYkIpyMAq pic.twitter.com/Y0052Qu4sE
— Journalism.co.uk (@journalism) January 20, 2022
- How freelance journalists can make the most out of social media ( Journalism.co.uk )
- What skills do freelance journalists need in 2022? ( Journalism.co.uk )
- The NCTJ's Journalism Diversity Fund hits £500k fundraising target ( Journalism.co.uk )
- How to report on channel crossings ( Journalism.co.uk )
- Mental health and journalism: how Headlines Network is helping burst the taboos ( Journalism.co.uk )
- Raducanu effect leaves tennis calling: New coaches please! ( The Times )